Stir-frying the cauliflower and potatoes with seeds and spices gives a nice crunchy texture — make sure not to overcook the cauliflower. Puy lentils are a great companion for this but if you are really in a hurry, you can leave them out and add some goat cheese instead.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients and groceries
- 1 cauliflower
- about 400 g small potatoes
- 1 cup puy lentils
- 1 cm fresh ginger, chopped finely
- From the store cupboard
- 2 dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Cook the lentils:
- Put the lentils, dried tomatoes and cumin in a pot with 2 1/2 cups water (2 cups water for 1 cup lentils, another 1/2 cup for the dried tomatoes).
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stir occasionally.
- While the lentils are cooking:
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into florets.
- Wash but don’t peel the potatoes.
- Cook the cauliflower in the microwave for 4 minutes at full power (900W).
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 8 minutes at full power (900W).
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan. I recommend a non-stick pan with a lid.
- When the oil is hot, add the ginger, seeds and spices and fry over medium heat for a minute.
- Add the potatoes and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and stir-fry over high heat for a few minutes.