This is another “Murakami meal”. I had aubergines and I decided to fill them with a mixture of soy beans, seaweed, shiitake mushrooms and miso, and serve them with red rice cooked with konbu seaweed. Although the ingredients are typically Japanese, filled aubergine is not a traditional Japanese recipe. But it’s delicious!
This reciped requires 30 minutes soaking time followed by 20 minutes cooking time.
For two people:
- Main ingredients:
- a cup of frozen soy beans
- 2 medium aubergines
- 1 cup of red rice (if you can’t find it, brown rice is also fine)
- For seasoning I used:
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- a 2 cm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 piece of konbu (about 5x10cm)
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 teaspoon dried wakame
- 1 teaspoon mirin (optional)
- Soaking: 30 minutes
- Boil a cup of water and soak the shiitake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the rice and konbu together in a pot with 2 cups of cold water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the wakame for 15 minutes in a pot of cold water.
- After soaking the shiitake, slice them thinly.
- Cooking: 20 minutes
- Cook the rice with the konbu for 6 minutes, either on the hob or in the microwave at full power (900W).
- Meanwhile, cook the beans for 3 minutes in the microwave at full power (900W).
- Scoop out the flesh from the aubergines and cook the shells for 5 minutes in the microwave at full power (900W). Chop the flesh coarsely.
- Remove the konbu from the pot with rice and slice it into smaller strips. Return half of it to the pot and continue cooking for another 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Heat the oil and fry the ginger and the other half of the konbu. Add the aubergine flesh and fry over medium heat until the aubergine has softened.
- Add the soy beans, shiitake and wakame and cook for a few minutes on low heat.
- Dissolve the miso in a few tablespoons of soaking liquid from the shiitake, and pour it over the aubergines.
- Let simmer for a few minutes over low heat.
- Stuff the aubergine shells with the mixture and microwave for 1 minute at full power (900W).
- Serve with the rice.