In this recipe I sweetened the aubergines by cooking them together with apples. The chickpeas and seeds make the meal sustaining and add a crunchy texture. This recipe takes about 25-30 minutes to prepare.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients & groceries
- 2 small aubergines (2x200g)
- 1 apple (I used Cox but Braeburn or similar will also work. Sour apples like cooking apples or Granny Smith are not so suitable.)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- a piece of ginger, about 1 tablespoon when chopped finely
- fresh coriander as garnish (optional)
- From the store cupboard
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1-2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Cook the rice (see basics for how to cook rice).
- While the rice is cooking:
- Chop the aubergines in slices of about half a cm thick.
- Peel the apple and cut rather finely.
- Squeeze the lemon into a cup.
- Put the aubergine slices and apple pieces in a microwave pot and pour half of the lemon juice over it.
- Cook in the microwave: 6 minutes on full power (900W), stir, then cook for 4 more minutes on full power.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil, and fry the ginger, allspice, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds for half a minute or so on moderate heat, stirring all the time.
- Add the chickpeas and fry for a few minutes more on moderate heat, stirring all the time.
- Add the raisins.
- Pour the soy sauce in the pan, stir well over high heat for about half a minute.
- Pour the remaining lemon juice in the pan, stir well and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the aubergines, let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Optionally, add chopped fresh coriander as garnish.
- Serve with the rice.