This nice wintery recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare, it’s a mild potato curry with parsnips and chickpeas with a base of spices and seeds. The tastes of allspice and parsnip go really well together.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients:
- about 400 g small potatoes
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 200 g)
- about 400 g parsnips
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- From the store cupboard
- spices: allspice, coriander seeds, turmeric, cayenne pepper to taste (I use about a teaspoon of each of the spices and just a pinch of the cayenne pepper)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic oil
- Wash the potatoes and cut them in chunks. Cook them in the microwave for 5 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Meanwhile, wash the parsnips and cut them in chunks; add them to the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Slice the tomatoes as fine as you can, microwave them for 2 minutes at full power (900 W)..
- If you’re using whole seeds like I do, grind the coriander seeds and allspice.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan. I recommend a non-stick pan with a lid.
- When the oil is hot, add the ginger, seeds and spices and fry over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and stir-fry for a few minutes more over high heat.
- Clear some space in the middle of the pan and put in the soy sauce. Stir vigorously.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well. Lower the heat and leave to simmer for a few minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Meanwhile, add the potatoes and parsnips to the pan, stir until the potatoes are no longer looking white.
- Add garlic oil to taste.
This is really a complete one-pan meal but you can serve it with rice too.