This surprising combination is very easy to make and really tasty. Cranberries are very sour so I combine them with apples to sweeten them. The mushrooms make the dish hearty and the chickpeas add crunchiness.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients and groceries
- two small apples (I used 1 1/2 large ones)
- 1 mug of frozen cranberries
- pack of chestnut mushrooms (ordinary mushrooms are fine too)
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- From the store cupboard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Cook the rice (see basics for how to cook rice).
- While the rice is cooking:
- Cook the frozen cranberries in the microwave for 3 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Peel & slice the apples and add them to the cranberries, cook in the microwave for 3 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Wash, clean & slice the mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms in the microwave for 3 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Heat the olive oil and fry the ginger, cumin and seeds for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the chickpeas and fry for a few minutes on high heat.
- Add the soy sauce and stir.
- Add the mushrooms and stir-fry on high heat for a few minutes, then on low heat for a few more minutes.
- Serve with the rice.