This is a Japanese-style recipe for a nabe or hotpot, but with yellow peppers (黄色いピーマン), shiitake and celeriac (セレリアック), a root vegetable that is less common in Japan. You need several typically Japanese ingredients for this but I bought everything in the local supermarket except the wakame and the black bean paste which I bought in a local Chinese supermarket.
- Fermented broad bean paste (called doubanjiang in Chinese or tobanjan (豆板醤) in Japanese) is optional but gives a mild spicy taste to the nabe. Make sure to check the ingredients as there are many types of chilli bean paste and a lot of them are not vegetarian. The Chinese characters are 豆瓣酱. If it says 辛豆瓣酱 then it will be very spicy. The brand I got is Pearl River Bridge Chilli Bean Paste.
- The wakame seaweed is a traditional ingredient in many nabe recipes. I bought a Korean brand, A+ Hosan Dried Seaweed (Ito Wakame) (紫菜絲).
This recipe requires 30-45 minutes resting and soaking time for the Japanese rice and 20 minutes cooking time.
For two people:
- Main ingredients:
- 4 baby yellow peppers (or one large one)
- half a celeriac (about 200 g)
- 1 pack of shiitake (200 g)
- 1 block of firm tofu (200 g)
- 1 cup of Japanese rice
- For seasoning I used:
- a 2 cm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon miso
- half a teaspoon black bean paste (tobanjan)
- 2 teaspoons dried wakame
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine, optional)
- Cook the rice (see basics for how to cook rice).
- Soak the wakame in about half a liter cold water.
- Wash and clean the shiitake, yellow peppers and celeriac.
- Cut the vegetables and tofu in pieces of about 2 by 3 cm and about 5 mm thick.
- Slice the ginger as thin as you can.
- Put the peppers and ginger in a microwave pot and add the mirin. Cook for 4 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Add the shiitake, wakame and celeriac and cook for 6 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Drain the cooking liquid into a bowl and use it to dissolve the miso and black bean paste.
- Add the tofu pieces to the microwave pot.
- Pour the miso mixture over the other ingredients and mix.
- Cook for 3 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Serve with the rice and season to taste with shichimi togarashi and golden sesame seeds.