This is a Japanese-style recipe for a nabe or hotpot, but with parsnips (パースニップ) and celeriac (セレリアック), two root vegetables that are less common in Japan. You need several typically Japanese ingredients for this but I bought everything in the local supermarket except the wakame, which I bought in a local Chinese supermarket.
This reciped requires 30 minutes soaking time followed by 20 minutes cooking time.
For two people:
- Main ingredients:
- about 200 g parsnips (1 large one)
- about 200 g celeriac (half a bulb)
- a cup of frozen soy beans
- 1 cup of red rice (if you can’t find it, brown rice is also fine)
- For seasoning I used:
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- a 2 cm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 piece of konbu (about 5x10cm)
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 teaspoons dried wakame
- 2 teaspoons mirin (sweet rice wine, optional)
- Soaking: 30 minutes
- Boil a cup of water and soak the shiitake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the rice and konbu together in a pot with 2 cups of cold water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the wakame for 15 minutes in a pot of cold water.
- After soaking the shiitake, slice them thinly.
- Cooking: 20 minutes
- Cook the rice with the konbu for 6 minutes, either on the hob or in the microwave at full power (900W).
- Meanwhile, cook the beans for 3 minutes in the microwave at full power (900W).
- Soak the wakame in about half a liter of water. It will increase in volume by up to 6 times.
- Wash and clean the parsnip and celeriac.
- Cut the vegetables in pieces of about 2 by 3 cm and about 3 mm thick.
- Slice the ginger as thin as you can.
- Put the vegetables and ginger in a microwave pot and add the mirin. Cook for 6 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Take the pot out of the microwave and pour about 100 ml of the cooking liquid into a bowl. Add a few tablespoons of the soaking liquid of the shiitake. Put the miso into the bowl and mix until it is dissolved.
- Drain the wakame and add it to microwave pot.
- Add the beans to the microwave pot.
- Drain the shiitake, squeeze them gently to remove some of the liquid and slice them thinly. Add them to the microwave pot.
- Pour the miso mixture over the other ingredients and mix.
- Cook for 2 minutes at full power (900 W).
- Serve with the rice and season to taste with shichimi togarashi and golden sesame seeds.