This is a simple, colourful and very tasty stir-fry of parsnips, baby bell peppers and black beans, served with rice. The “secret sauce” is almond flakes and tomato puree. In our local Chinese supermarket I found “Healthy Grain Trio Rice”, a mixture of brown, red cargo and black glutinous rice and a very nice combination.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients & groceries
- a pack or tin of black beans
- 500 g parsnips
- 200 g sweet bell peppers
- 1 cm ginger, finely chopped
- From the store cupboard
- half a cup of whole-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a drizzle of garlic oil
- Cook the rice (see basics for how to cook rice).
- While the rice is cooking:
- Cook the parsnips and peppers in the microwave for twice 5 minutes at full power (900W)
- Heat the olive oil and when hot, stir-fry the ginger and seeds over medium heat for about a minute.
- Add the beans and fry over high heat for a minute.
- Then add the parsnips and peppers, fry over medium heat.
- Stir in the tomato puree and drizzle on the garlic oil.