This is a simple, colourful and very tasty stir-fry of baby bell peppers, potatoes and tofu. In our local supermarket I found “Thai black rice”, a delicious rice that makes for a very nice colour combination. I cook this with kombu seaweed according to a recipe from the Zen temple cookbook I bought in Japan.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients & groceries
- 300 g small sweet bell peppers
- 200 g firm tofu
- 200 g small potatoes
- 1 cm ginger, finely chopped
- a handful fresh chives, roughly chopped
- From the store cupboard
- half a cup of black rice
- 1 sheet of kombu seaweed (about 5 cm x 10 cm)
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for at least half an hour.
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Put 1 cup of rice and a 5x10cm piece of kombu together in a pot with 2 cups of cold water and cook for 10 minutes, either on the hob or in the microwave at reduced power (400W).
- While the rice is cooking:
- Slice the peppers and potatoes into bit-sized chunks and cook them in the microwave with a tablespoon of mirin for twice 5 minutes at full power (900W). Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl.
- While the vegetables are cooking:
- Cut the tofu into large slices and put it in the microwave for 3 minutes at full power (900W). Squeeze the moisture out of the slices as much as possible. Cut the slices into chunks.
- Heat the olive oil and when hot, stir-fry the ginger and pumpkin seeds over medium heat for about a minute.
- Cut the shiitake mushrooms into strips and add them to the pan.
- Add the chives and tofu and fry over high heat for a minute.
- Then add the peppers and potatoes, fry over medium heat.
- Remove the kombu from the pot with rice, slice it into smaller strips and return it to the pot. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the shiitake soaking liquid to the cooking liquid of the vegetables and dissolve the miso in it. _ Pour the mixture in the pan and stir over medium heat until the liquid has been absorbed.