This original potato bake with carrots and courgettes is the winter version of the Japanese potato salad and is great on a cold night. I use cream cheese to get a smooth consistency, and add grated cheese on top, which gives a nice crust when grilled. This bake makes a complete and very tasty meal.
For two people:
Fresh ingredients and groceries
- 500 g potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- a small courgette
- 1 cm ginger
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese (e.g. Philadelphia)
- a cup of grated hard cheese for topping (I used Grana Padano)
From the store cupboard
- salt and pepper
- Wash but don’t peel the potatoes; wash the carrot and scrape or peel.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes at full power (900W).
- Add the carrot to the pot, cook in the microwave for another 5 minutes at full power (900W).
- In the meantime, slice the courgette and the ginger very thinly.
- Leave the potatoes and carrot to cool for a few minutes.
- Mix the potatoes, carrots, courgette, ginger and cream cheese in an oven dish. Mash coarsely with a fork until the consistency is smooth but still chuncky. Season to taste.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and grill for about 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and there’s a nice golden crust.