In this recipe I combined my umami sauce with potatoes, soy beans, peas and courgettes.
There is one ingredient in this recipe that may be a bit harder to find, but it is really worth the effort! I bought these at a Chinese supermarket.
- Fermented broad bean paste (called doubanjiang in Chinese) is essential. Make sure to check the ingredients as there are many types of chilli bean paste and a lot of them are not vegetarian. The Chinese characters are 豆瓣酱. If it says 辛豆瓣酱 then it will be very spicy. The brand I got is Pearl River Bridge Chilli Bean Paste.
All the other ingredients can be found in ordinary supermarkets.
vegan • 550 kcal per person
For two people:
- 400 g potatoes
- 300 g courgettes
- 1 cup of frozen peas and soy beans (combined)
For the sauce
- 6 dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- a handful of dried shiitake
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, crushed in a mortar
- 1 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon miso
- 1/2 teaspoon black bean paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic oil
Two of the ingredients need soaking: the dried tomatoes and shiitake.
- Soak each of these in a separate pot or bowl in freshly boiled water for at least 30 minutes.
- After soaking:
- Squeeze the liquid out of the tomatoes. Keep the soaking liquid.
- Wash the shiitake, then squeeze the liquid out of them and cut the in strips. Keep the soaking liquid.
- Cook the frozen beans and peas for 2 minutes in the microwave at full power (900 W).
- Wash the potatoes and dice them.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes at full power (900 W), stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, wash the courgettes and slice them thinly. You can cook them in the microwave for a few minutes at full power (900W) to speed up the frying.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and fry the ginger for a minute or so.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, the tomatoes and shiitake and fry over low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes and courgettes and fry over high heat for a few minutes, until the courgettes are soft and the potatoes have browned.
- Add the beans and peas.
- Add the miso, black bean paste and tomato puree and two tablespoons each of the soaking liquid of the tomatoes and shiitake.
- Cook further for a few minutes over low heat, stirring well.