Risotto is a popular Italian-style one-pan dish, delicious and easy to make, and you can keep on creating variations. It works best with a proper risotto rice like Arborio. This recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients and groceries
- a cup of green peas (I use frozen ones)
- a teaspoon of finely chopped or grated ginger
- some grated hard Italian cheese (grana padano or parmezan) or pesto for serving
- From the store cupboard
- a cup of risotto rice
- three dried tomatoes
- half a cup of dried porcini mushrooms
- a handful of pine kernels
- a teaspoon ground cumin
- a tablespoon soy sauce
- garlic oil
- Boil half a litre of water.
- Soak the dried tomatoes and the porcini in a cup of boiled water each.
- While the tomatoes and the porcini are soaking:
- If the peas are frozen ones, put them in the microwave with a tablespoon of water for 3 minutes at full power (900W).
- Heat the oil and fry the pine kernels, ginger and cumin.
- Add the rice, shake/stir to coat it with the spices and the oil.
- Add some of the boiled water (just enough to cover the rice) and simmer, covered, until the rice has absorbed the water.
- Add the tomatoes and porcini mushrooms and their soaking liquid, and some more boiled water. Stir and simmer, covered, until the rice has absorbed it.
- Add the soy sauce and more boiled water, stir and simmer, covered, until the rice has absorbed the water.
- You may have to add water a few more times, depending on how much you added at a time.
- When the rice is getting quite creamy, add the peas.
- Simmer for a few more minutes, then drizzle on some garlic oil and serve with pesto or cheese.