This is a very simple stir fry, quick and easy to make. The less common ingredients in this recipe are:
- dried bean curd sticks;
- hijiki seaweed. You can find these ingredients in most Asian supermarkets. I also used miso paste. You can find it in most supermarkets.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients & groceries
- 300 g carrots
- a medium courgette (about 200 g)
- 1 cm ginger, chopped very fine
- 50 g dried bean curd sticks
- 1 tablespoon hijiki
- From the store cupboard
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup of rice (I used basmati)
- Soak the bean curd sticks in boiling hot water for about half an hour.
- Soak the hijiki in hot water for about half an hour.
- Prepare the rice (see The Basics for instructions to cook rice).
- Wash, scrape or peel the carrots and chop them (rather coarsely).
- Microwave for 3 minutes at full power (900W) (if you like, add a splash of mirin).
- Wash and chop the courgettes.
- Add the courgettes to the carrots and microwave for another 3 minutes at full power (900W).
- Pour the cooking liquid into a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and fry the ginger and seeds for a few minutes.
- Drain the bean curd and chop into sections of 2-3 cm long.
- Fry the bean curd on medium to high heat for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables and fry on medium to high heat for a few more minutes.
- Drain the hijiki and add to the pan; fry for a few more minutes on low heat.
- Dissolve the miso in the cooking liquid of the vegetables and add it to the pan.
- Turn off the heat and stir well until the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with the rice.