This is a very easy to make winter hotpot with root vegetables and adzuki beans, small red beans that are mainly used in Japan in sweet red bean paste, but are great in savoury meals too, and very nourishing. The ginger and miso round of the taste of the vegetables and beans.
For two people:
- 500 g potatoes and sweet potatoes
- 500 g carrots and parsnips
- 1 cm root ginger, sliced thinly
From the store cupboard:
- 1 tin adzuki beans
- 1 tablespoon miso
- Wash the vegetables. Peel the sweet potatoes and parsnips; it’s OK to scrape or peel the carrots but just washing is enough.
- Put them in a microwave pot and cook at full power (900W) for 5 minutes, then stir.
- Add the ginger and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a bowl and mix with the miso.
- Rinse the beans under running water and add them to the pot, then pour over the miso mixture.
- Cook at full power (900W) for another 5 minutes.