An unusual combination of butternut squash and pear with flaked almonds for an interesting texture.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 pear
- 1 cm ginger chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (or yuzu juice to make it more special)
- From the store cupboard
- 1 tin black-eyed beans
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- some garlic oil
- olive oil for frying]
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of brown rice (I used Kilombero rice from Malawi)
- Cook the rice (see basics for how to cook rice).
- While the rice is cooking:
- Wash and peel the butternut squash, slice it into thin (3 mm) segments.
- Do the same for the pear, put some lemon juice on the pieces so they don’t turn brown.
- Wash the beans in a sieve.
- Cook the butternut squash in the microwave, 3 minutes at full power (900W), stir, then another 3 minutes.
- Fry the ginger and seeds over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and flaked almonds and fry on high for a few minutes, until the pieces and flakes start to brown.
- Add the lemon juice lower the heat to medium.
- Add the beans and the soy sauce and the raisins and fry over medium heat.
- Add the pear and the garlic oil and stir well.