This is my second festive recipe for Quick and Tasty: aubergines stuffed with stir-fried cauliflower, served with potato gratin.
For two people:
- Fresh ingredients:
- 1 aubergine (about 200 g)
- half a cauliflower (about 200 g)
- 1 tomato (about 100 g)
- 400 g potatoes
- 1 cm ginger, finely chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- 100 g Philadelphia cheese
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- half a cup of grated hard cheese (I used a mix of half Grana Padano and half Jarlsberg)
- From the store cupboard
- a handful of porcini mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes (keep the soaking liquid)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon pine kernels
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic oil
- Stuffed aubergines
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and cook for 4 minutes in the microwave at full power (900 W).
- Cut the aubergine lengthwise into two and scoop out the flesh and set aside. Cook the shells for 4 minutes in the microwave at full power (900 W).
- If you want to save time, start cooking the potatoes for the gratin now.
- Chop the aubergine flesh.
- Chop the tomato into very small pieces.
- Heat the oil and fry the ginger, spices and ground pumpkin seeds for a few minutes. Add the pine kernels and cauliflower and stir-fry over high heat until the cauliflower starts to brown.
- Add the soy sauce, tomato, aubergine flesh, sugar and lemon juice and stir-fry over medium heat until the tomato becomes soft and the aubergine flesh is done. Let it simmer for a few minutes more on low heat.
- Stuff the aubergine shells with the mixture and cook for 2 minutes in the microwave at full power (900 W).
- Potato gratin
- Cook the potatoes for 10 minutes in the microwave at full power (900 W).
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices and arrange them in an oven tray.
- Mix the cream with the Philadelphia cheese and two tablespoons of the porcini mushroom soaking liquid and heat in the microwave for a minute at full power (900 W). Stir and check if it is liquid enough to pour, otherwise heat a bit longer. Add a teaspoon of garlic oil and the porcini mushrooms and pour the mixture over the potatoes.
- Bake the pototoes for 2 minutes in the microwave at full power (900 W).
- Add the grated cheese on top and grill for 4 minutes.